|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Candles of Leng
(4), Tap: Reveal the top card of your library. If it has the same name as a card in your graveyard, put it into your graveyard. Otherwise, draw a card.
Candles of Leng Discussion
6 months ago
I like that you removed the red from this and went with Aminatou, the Fateshifter .
Not sure how competitive you want to make this but here are some cards to think about:
Also you might want to look into the possibility of snow lands and Scrying Sheets
11 months ago
Temple of the False God probably deserves a spot somewhere.
Candles of Leng could probably get swapped with Arcane Encyclopedia for cheaper draw. Sunset Pyramid is cool too but I imagine things slow down pretty quick and 3 turns may be a deal breaker for this much stax.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Candles of Leng seems pretty good in a Commander setting.
Carnage Altar and Culling Dais seem really good with all the fodder you'll have for them.
Browbeat is one of my favorite red draw spells.
Coercive Portal could be fun, especially since your commander is indestructible.
Chandra Ablaze also has a good draw ability.
Liar's Pendulum is so much fun.
Solemn Simulacrum is ramp, draw, and fodder all in one.
Combustible Gearhulk, Aggressive Mining, Endbringer, Farsight Mask, Illuminated Folio, Mind's Eye, The Immortal Sun, Vanquisher's Banner, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate, and Wheel of Fortune all seem like solid draw effects.
1 year ago
- Mindcrank - keep in mind that things like Underground River or Phyrexian Arena also trigger Mindcrank. Mwahaha
- Spelltwine - instead of or in addition to Memory Plunder. Not instant speed, but two spells rather than just one.
- Mastermind's Acquisition - the official commander rules are a little fuzzy on bringing cards in from outside the game. I believe they say to handle it on a playgroup by playgroup basis, so just check with your opponents before you start
- Silumgar's Command, Ruinous Path, or Hero's Downfall can help with removal
You also have no sort of board wipe or wrath. Something like a cycled Decree of Pain would miss most of your high-toughness dudes or it could be cast normally if needed. Tragic Slip is an EDH staple and gets around indestructible.
Things you could possibly remove:
- Living Wall - I feel like you can do better than 4 mana for a 0/6 (Like Guardians of Meletis for example, which you already have), though the regenerate is nice.
- Forgotten Creation - what benefit do you get from discarding your hand? Is there a card that deals damage to your opponents when you do? If there's nothing like that, Forgotten Creation isn't contributing much. I'd feel like you'll be able to achieve delirium fairly easily
- Kefnet's Monument and Bontu's Monument - keep an eye on your black to blue creature ratio and your creature to non-creature ratio to see if you should remove one or both of these
- Meekstone - currently about 1/3 of your creatures have power 3 or greater so keep an eye on this
- Swarm Intelligence - lots of mana when you have other ways of copying spells. Though this is an enchantment. Hmm.
- Candles of Leng - Why not just Staff of Nin or something instead?
- Soul Net - doesn't trigger off of things being put from a library into the graveyard
1 year ago
Now, if you topdecked a Candles of Leng during your first draw step, that would be a first-turn kill. Get you some Candles in this deck!
2 years ago
The Candles of Leng for card draw is an interesting idea, I didn't think of that. However, I would recommend using Jayemdae Tome, Staff of Nin, or Farsight Mask instead. The first one has the same effect as the candles without revealing the card, and the other two are card draw that doesn't require mana.
3 years ago
Lots of... unnecessary fluff you've suggested.
Astral Cornucopia costs more mana and takes more investment to do what Gilded Lotus is strictly better at in this deck. This takes 9 mana to be able to generate three on tap compared to the Lotus' 5, and though it can be played for a mere 3 and given additional counters, it takes more investment than is necessary when, more than likely, I'm searching it and Voltaic Key out first to go straight into godmode.
Soul of New Phyrexia, in this deck, is nothing more than big. It's ability is irrelevant to copy, and while useful, requires consistent mana to be kept open for it, and when again, I'm probably searching for it, I'd be more satisfied with Darksteel Forge.
Golem Foundry's charge ability can't be copied by Kurkesh. Also, see above.
Koth of the Hammer is an ok card, but not exceptional here. Most of the time, if I have enough resources to do a bunch of stuff but I'm not going infinite, I'm just going to mount defenses. In an opening hand, he takes Kurkesh's slot in the curve, and otherwise, he'd be more likely to get searched out, in which case, I'd just get Gilded Lotus and Voltaic Key instead.
Ion Storm is flashy, and there's already an optimal number of different wincons in the deck. Darksteel Reactor for non-targeting total victory, Decimator Web for undamageable players, an abundance of methods to make infinite tokens for combat wins, and + to force surrenders. Having to overextend to have Ion Storm and infinite mana and an artifact with charge counters is silly compared to a simple Decimator Web.
Let's compare all of Staff of Domination's modes (Except the first) with other options already in place.
2 mana for 1 life, or with Kurkesh, 3 for 2. Trading Post is 1 and a discard for 4. Lots of draw power here means plenty worth discarding, and at a cheaper price. Alternatively, everyone elses loses/I enter godmode before any damage I've taken becomes relevant.
3 mana to untap a creature, or with Kurkesh, 4 to untap 2. Very few of my creatures tap and stay there, those that do I either don't need untapped that turn, or are artifacts and thus can be untapped for 1 with Voltaic Key or the same price of 3 with Galvanic Key.
4 to tap a creature, or with Kurkesh, 5 to tap 2. There's nothing directly comparable in this deck, but with many token generator options, I have little fear of combat.
5 mana to draw 1, or with Kurkesh, 6 to draw 2. Let's see, Jayemdae Tome is 4/5 for 1/2, Temple Bell is 0/1 for 1/2, Candles of Leng is 4/5 for 1/2, Tower of Fortunes is 8/9 for 4/8... I may have card draw covered.
The only thing SoD has going for it is all these abilities are on the same artifact, but if I have enough mana to be using several of these abilities in the same turn, I should be doing them with cards I already have, and if I'm in so much danger that I need all of these abilities at the ready, it's unlikely it will make a difference anyway.
I'm not saying the deck is perfect as is, there are some expensive cards I think would be very good in here that I haven't sprung for yet, and it certainly isn't unbeatable. But I've been somewhat meticulous in deciding which cards would be the most efficient and effective, and with how many similar cards should reasonably be played, and swapping out for more cards that do similar things in less profitable/resourceful ways skews a number of aspects of the deck's consistency. I looked over all the cards you suggested back when I first brewed this, and chose the alternatives here for the reasons I've described here.
No data for this card yet.