Artifact Creature — Wall
: Brimstone Trebuchet deals 1 damage to each opponent.
Whenever a Knight enters the battlefield under your control, untap Brimstone Trebuchet.
Printings View all
|Throne of Eldraine (ELD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Brimstone Trebuchet Discussion
1 month ago
Introducing the synonyms/nicknames system to alleviate all those "wtf was that one land of that one cycle named?" problems that plague you.
This system is simple. It is designed to redirect terms that you typed out that match a synonym/nickname of a card, to that card name. This lets you never have to remember the name "Seachrome Coast" and can instead just type out "WU Fastland" (as an example). Note that this only works in text edit entries on deck lists and inventory, not the live edit or the card search forms.
There is a lot of other things that are utilised here as well.
- Godzilla Names
- Non-American Spellings
- Common Nicknames
- Common Misspellings
- Redirections of Misspelled Submissions
- Each side of a split card as a synonym (unless they already exist as a card).
Not needing to know the name of each card in a land/artifact cycle is a big boon, but you still need to know the nickname of that cycle and the syntax. For lands/mana rocks/the swords of X and Y at the present moment it is always "XY Nickname" or "YX Nickname". Examples:
- WU Fastland
- GR BFZ
- GW ABUR Dual Land
- BW Fetch
For 2 colour lands, it is always the two colour letters, followed by the nickname, and then followed by the option to have the world land either connected to the nickname or not. (these are all viable options for example: "WU Fast", "UW Fastland", "UW Fast Land".) For 3 colour lands, it is only the primary order of colour letters you see on cards, or the Alara/Khans name. (WUB Lair, Mardu Triome as examples.) Swords and other artifact cycles follow the same setup (though swords can also be "Sword of GB" or "Sword of G and B"), and mono colour land cycles use the same setup just with only one letter. Note that none of these are plural, so don't put that s in. Colourless cards that are a part of a cycle use C/Colorless/Colourless.
Some of these cycles don't have well defined names yet (like BBD) and some of these cycles have had too many names that people constantly fight over so there was no point in bothering to put them all in and instead I just used the TLA (specifically BFZ).
The primary purpose of this is to make the ability to tag cards and edit decks/inventory far more robust than what it has been. Tappedout doesn't presently have a spellchecker, and to be fair most sites don't. It's not an easy feature to implement. So with this synonyms/nicknames feature, we can alleviate some of those aggravations of misspellings or different ways to spell a word by making them valid targets and redirecting them to the right card name. Another benefit of this is the ability to give cards shorthands or nicknames when the community largely doesn't remember the actual name of a card, just their shorthand. We have all been hit with "wtf is that land's name again?" when we know for a fact that it's just "the blue and white shadows over innistrad reveal land". This saves the step of having to open up a search engine to figure out the card name, and in general speeds up and makes the process of building decks and inventory, a lot more enjoyable.
Cycles that currently have nicknames: Show
- ABUR Duals as ABUR/Duals/ABUR Duals
- MDR Artifact Lands as Artifact Lands
- AKH Bike Lands as Bikes/Bicycles/Bicyclings/Cycle Lands/Cycling Lands
- BFZ Lands as BFZ/BFZ Lands
- RAV Guildhalls as Guildhalls
- SHM/EVE Lands as Filters
- VIS Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- RAV Karoos as Karoos/Bouncelands
- MH1 Lands as Horizons/Canopy Lands
- SOI Lands as SOI Lands/Reveal Lands
- Swords of X and Y as XY Swords/Swords of XY/Swords of X and Y
- Temples as Temples/Scrylands
- Thrivings as Thrives/Thrivings
- IKO Triomes as Triomes/Tricycles/Cycles/Cyclings
A lot of the cycle synonyms are meant to intuitive and robust so that you won't even have to think about knowing what the exact written synonym actually is and still be able to get it right on the first try, though it will take time to reach a point in which this is 100% true. As an example of scope, each recognized nickname for a cycle creates 6 entries for each given card in that cycle. So the AKH lands have 30 entries for each card in that cycle, resulting in a total of 150 entries. The Triomes have the same amount, but if I were to add each individual string combination of the colour letters (WUB, BUW, WBU etc) then that count would increase by 45 for each entry, resulting 75 entries for each one, totalling at 375 entries for the whole cycle.
Nicknames will usually be things like "Snappy", "Bolt", "Path", "Bob", "FoW", etc. They are to be commonly used by the larger community as a whole, not what your FNM/play group exclusively uses (though this isn't a hard set in stone as I'm not omniscient).
Here's a list of nicknames that I have. Show
- Aether Vial: Vial
- Aetherflux Reservoir: Dome Dome
- Assassin's Trophy: Ass Trophy
- Birds of Paradise: Birds, BoP
- Bloodbraid Elf: BBE
- Brimstone Trebuchet: Bucket
- Cavalcade of Calamity: Cavalcade
- Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh Flip: Baby Chandra
- Chandra Nalaar: Zippotricks McEdgelord
- Charming Prince: Prince Charming
- Collected Company: CoCo
- Dark Confidant: Bob
- Dark Ritual: Rit
- Demonic Tutor: DT
- Dig Through Time: DTT
- Eternal Witness: E-Wit, E-Witness
- Explosive Vegetation: Explosive Veggies
- Field of Ruin: FoR
- Force of Will: FoW
- Ghost Quarter: GC
- Gilded Goose: Goose
- Giver of Runes: Mommy, Stepmom
- Goblin Charbelcher: Belcher, Charbelcher
- Grave Titan: Gravy Train
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel: Gary
- Griselbrand: Grizzy B
- Hypnotic Specter: Hippie
- Inquisition of Kozilek: IoK
- Jace, Cunning Castaway: Sexy Jace
- Jace, the Mindsculptor: Jace, JtMS
- Jace, Wielder of Mysteries: Lab Jace,
- Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip: Literal Actual Baby Jace
- Jace Beleren: Party Jace
- Karn Liberated: Karn
- Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Kiki, Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker
- Kitchen Finks: Finks
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip: Baby Gideon, Baby Gids
- Laboratory Maniac: Lab Man, Lab Maniac
- Life from the Loam: Loam
- Lightning Bolt: Bolt
- Lightning Helix: Helix
- Lightning Strike: Strike
- Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip: Baby Lili
- Liliana, the Last Hope: Last Hope
- Liliana of the Veil: Lili, LotV
- Lion's Eye Diamond: LED
- Llanowar Elves: Dork, Elf
- Mother of Runes: Mom
- Necropotence: Necro
- Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip: Baby Nissa
- Oblivion Ring: O-Ring
- Oko, Thief of Crowns: Oko
- Path to Exile: Path, PtE
- Pia and Kiran Nalaar: Chandra's Parents, Mom and Dad, Ma and Pa, Pia and Kiran, Parents
- Pia Nalaar: Chandra's Mom, Pia
- Primeval Titan: Prime Time
- Prodigal Sorcerer: Tim
- Sakura-Tribe Elder: STE, Steve
- Savage Punch: Bear Punch
- Scalding Tarn: Tarn
- Scavenging Ooze: Scooze
- Sensei's Divining Top: Top
- Settle the Wreckage: Settle
- Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon: Skittles
- Smuggler's Copter: Copter, Thopter Copter
- Snapcaster Mage: Snapcaster, Snappy
- Solemn Simulacrum: Sad Robot
- Sorin, Solemn Visitor: Sad Sorin
- Splinter Twin: Twin
- Swords to Plowshares: Swords
- Tarmogoyf: Goyf, Goyfy, Tarmo
- Tectonic Edge: Tec Edge, TecEdge
- Teferi, Hero of Dominaria: 5feri, T5feri
- Teferi, Time Raveler: 3feri, T3feri
- The Gitrog Monster: Gitrog, HypnoToad, Hypno Toad
- Thing in the Ice Flip: Titi
- Torrential Gearhulk: Fatcaster
- True-Name Nemesis: TNM, TNN, True-Name
- Ugin, the Spirit Dragon: Eugene, Ugin
- Wrenn and Six: W6, Wand6, Wn6
I have about 200+ cards of non-American spellings added as synonyms in this site, however I'm certain there's like, 5x that much I've missed. If you notice a non-american spelling I do not have in, let me know.
Here's a list of things that is in the works to do. Show
- All triple coloured land cycles (triomes, lairs, trilands) to have an entry for each of their letter combinations. (Example, bant lands would have WUG, GUW, WGU, GWU, UGW, UWG.)
- All dual coloured land cycles will have the ravnican guild names to replace the two colours as an option.
- All land cycles will have the TLA as an option to replace the nickname.
- All land cycles to have "Nickname XY" format.
- More non-american spellings.
- More common misspellings.
- Cards that have or do not have the word "and", to have a synonym of the opposite.
- Synonym that is a version of the card name but without punctuation.
- Nicknames of all the cards with commas that ignores everything past the comma, provided that it is unique.
- Fringe/old land cycles.
- A lot of mana rock cycles.
A card can have any number of synonyms/nicknames. But only one synonym/nickname can be tied to a card. So if a new card/land cycle gets printed that has covers a misspelling (like an UNcard might) or has that nickname as it's actual card name, those synonyms will get removed (as an example, Snapcaster Mage cannot have Snap as a nickname). We are also looking to limit the amount of times a synonym has to get removed so nicknames of cards during their presence in the standard formats are not likely to be put in, as they become forgotten or even re-used when they rotate out. These are also done manually so sometimes a change might just take a while to do if it encompasses a large number of cards or a large number of synonyms.. We also won't be going through alternate language as possible synonyms because WotC doesn't nearly double check duplicate card names for foreign languages as well as they do for English cards.
This is not something on the card submission form, so it is not available to edit for any user.
If you know of something missing like common misspellings or common non-American spellings that will be needed, or cycle syntaxes that you tried to use but didn't work, post them here and I'll review them for possible inclusion in the future.
EDIT: Before you ask for a nickname etc to be added:
- Check if it exists first by trying it out.
- Check if the larger community recognizes it, this is done by going around discords, lgs' and other forums about that nickname.
- Check if it has any nsfw, discriminatory or derogatory terminology, we straight up will not allow these.
This isn't a system for your pet nickname that your local playgroup uses. This is a system that can utilize nicknames that naturally grew organically out of continued use from the larger mtg community as a whole. This isn't a "which nicknames do you think this system could use" but rather "which nicknames that are used across the world that we have missed".
4 months ago
Thanks for the comment and suggestions.
Brimstone Trebuchet is a flavor card that while not threatening in of itself does chip away at everyone without drawing much hate. If it lasts till the late game, a kicked Josu Vess, Lich Knight pings each opponent for 9 additional damage which has won me matches in a hilarious manner. If it was target opponent I would consider the cut but since it hits everyone it is surprising good in casual games.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
5 months ago
Skulk (This creature can't be blocked by creatures with greater power.)
There are only 10 creature cards that have skulk, but I thought it was a really fun-to-play keyword in limited. I like the fact it gives more importance to creatures with defender, creatures with high toughness over power and low-cost creatures. As a keyword it would be used on and creatures and maybe some fringe creatures as well. (Like spiders, snakes, fungi, oozes, etc.)
I recall some people thought the keyword was a little too strong, but if it needs to be powered down I think it would be easier to make a new keyword similar to it. Something like: "New Keyword" (Creatures with power greater than this creature can't block it unless they have reach.)
Green and red decks would normally have troubles dealing with skulk creatures because their creatures typically have high power and since green has access to reach and red has been given more reach creatures like Nimble Birdsticker, Robber of the Rich, Turret Ogre, Brimstone Trebuchet etc. I think having skulk or a modified version of the skulk keyword would really make games more exciting and varied.
What are your thoughts on the Skulk keyword?
8 months ago
Play more cards that are pingers! Even really small creatures like 0/1s or 1/1s because when you have an army of pingers, no one can attack you because you just ping the creatures and kill them before they can deal damage. "End step, deal 15 damage to all your creatures" is feasible in Torbran. Cards like Brimstone Trebuchet , Vulshok Sorcerer , Lobber Crew , Cinder Pyromancer , or Vithian Stinger . Usually all of these cards are 3 mana with upside which is perfect because once Torbran is on the field on turn 4 or 5, none of them will have summoning sickness and you can bolt away
And play fewer cards that aren't pingers! like wtf do you need The Immortal Sun for? 6 Mana Artifacts in red should be winning the game, not dragging it out longer. In red, I think, cards that aren't killing things aren't worth it. Stranglehold ? Why? It's so corner-case. It's not that cards like that are bad, but why play that when you could play another pinger or bolt? What does Caged Sun even do in the deck? Double your mana and buff your few creatures? A top of the curve artifact that lets you cast things you could already cast, lovely. Red Elemental Blast AND Pyroblast ? What does a burn deck think it's doing carrying around counterspells. And not just counterspells, but corner-case counterspells, and 2 of them?? Corner-case cards are just terrible in high variance formats. Like compare Demystify to Forsake the Worldly or Return to Dust . These cards are more versatile. Cards like Fiery Confluence , which you have, are flexible cards that can do either multiple things or can hit a variety of targets
Chaos Warp is an interesting card and most people use it on their own permanents to chance a better one. In this deck, it probably hits a land card or a non-permanent card. However, against an opponent, it's a removal spell at best (Target a permanent, shuffle, they flip and it's a non-permanent), but at worst your opponent gets a better permanent. for in Torbran, you can be dealing upwards of 5 or 6 damage, which pretty much kills most creatures. Chaos Warp does hit permanents, which red usually does have a hard time dealing with, but there are very few silver bullets. Off the top of my head, Leyline of Sanctity . But a card that gets around that (and that I think you should be playing in place of a mountain) is Detection Tower . However, more reliable permanent destruction could be Unstable Obelisk
Lands and permanents are hella good in Burn. Like sure, you can dump your hand and deal 31 damage, but that doesn't win the game. You've got at least 40 life to kill. You can use your lands! Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle , Dwarven Mine , or Spinerock Knoll , all great lands that can be used to keep getting hits in. Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip is super easy to transform into Spitfire Bastion , especially with cantrips
Strictly Worse / Particularily Bad Cards-
Sentinel Tower -> Not red, no buff. 4 mana for something that probably does about 1 or 2 every turn
8 months ago
Sorin_Markov_1947 Thanks for the idea, I'll consider throwing in a Brimstone Trebuchet . I think I'd rather have the 3 power/the pump spell with Rimrock Knight than the lifelink with Smitten Swordmaster though.
9 months ago
9 months ago
Iehovah and Ice_Water, glad to hear it! It seemed like Rakdos was very strong. My friend ran a crazy knights deck with Torbran, Thane of Red Fell + two Brimstone Trebuchet and a Syr Carah, the Bold that 3-0, 6-0'd. Bet draft is going to be interesting.
I LOVE the alt-art storybook cards. I pulled a Giant Killer alt-art foil that is gorgeous. Also, the card stock finally seems to be better!