|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Vedalken Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell that targets only Beamsplitter Mage, if you control one or more other creatures that spell could target, choose one of those creatures. Copy that spell. The copy targets the chosen creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Beamsplitter Mage Discussion
1 week ago
Legendary_penguin_of_death i will definetly test this setup and let u know. I love tribal setups but in this case what i really want to be the core element of the build is the Beamsplitter Mage so it's not all that important as long as i stay true to my original thought. Great input nonetheless and i intend to test it out straight away. ' What are your thoughts on tricolor and get some white in? there are some quite neat buffs there. - also the Runaway Steam-Kin has proven itself over and over tbh, should i still replace with Ghitu?
mikexbustillos i have been testing quite a lot and the biggest success was as earlier mentioned here the runaway steamkin. But overall the deck has performed poorer since moderating it, might be just random. Not enough sample games to measure. Still curious about both of ur thoughts on White
Also a thought for was The Legion Warboss?
1 week ago
mikexbustillos i encountered the exact same issues in the games i didnt quickly win. to my great sadness i realized Gravitic Punch and my <3 Beamsplitter Mage did not sync. Cosmotronic wave is great, and Firemind's Research is definetly going to be tested. Experimental Frenzy and Runaway Steam-Kin are definetly options, i was just hoping i could somehow turn this into a tribal affair, either by banan, uhm, i mean naban or something else.
I will continue testing and keep u posted! cheers!
1 week ago
I tested a couple games just now. There are a couple problems that I see.
1) Your entire gameplan is based on Beamsplitter living. Unless you can always have a Dive Down in hand, and always leave mana up to be able to play it, this game plan is super vulnerable to removal. And almost every deck plays removal.
2) There are only 6 actual win conditions, 4 Beamsplitter and 2 Electromancer, and they all require a lot of other things to line up to be good. If you don't draw any of these, your hand is essentially dead.
3) Gravitic Punch doesn't combo with Beamsplitter Mage because it also targets a player, so I'm not sure this is a great card in this deck. Something like Cosmotronic Wave might work better at getting a bunch of buffed attackers through.
4) The deck lacks resilience in the long game. After turn 5, I was out of cards and had no way to refill my hand. Maybe consider some kind of advantage engine--Firemind's Research or Experimental Frenzy to give you a way to keep going when your hand is empty.
I think that you might want to consider A) diversifying your threats, and B) decentralizing your gameplan.
Maybe run some Runaway Steam-Kin or Wee Dragonauts or something as well--they take buffs well and can win games even if you don't draw your Beamsplitter. Plus if you ever get Beamsplitter + Quasiduplicate to happen, you can have some good copying targets. I mean, I'm all for making a bunch of Beamsplitters, but at some point you do want something you can kill people with. (Also, be advised that the Beamsplitter ability triggers on cast; if you had 3 Beamsplitters, for instance, and cast a Sure Strike, you would be able to buff 2, but not keep copying it to all of them, because the copies are not technically "cast." Therefore, having multiple Beamsplitters is not necessarily advantageous.)
Maybe run some more removal spells? A set of Lightning Strike seems like a good addition, to help you get rid of blockers. Maybe a few Fight with Fire in case you find yourself facing a Lyra Dawnbringer.
Just a couple suggestions. The Beamsplitter combo is sweet! I'd love to playtest it again after some updates.
1 week ago
Quasiduplicate and Beamsplitter Mage are really funny together. Maybe a bit slow and weak against removal on the Beamsplitter but if you pass the turn, you're really good. Wee Dragonauts is the best target you want since Adeliz, the Cinder Wind is legendary.
2 weeks ago
saj0219, in regards to the Perilous Voyage over Unexplained Disappearance, the former can also remove enchantments, artifacts, sagas, and planeswalkers, whereas the latter can only work on creatures. That is why I chose to keep it. Also, the way I use it is to more often do a turn 3-4 removal of their only flying creatures before swinging in with a lot of things, so the target is usually something CMC 2 or less. As for Mistcaller, I've seen a lot of decks with Isareth running around, especially locally, and there is also the spider in Golgari that has Undergrowth to place a critter on the deck. It's major upside is that it is only one mana, so I can have a total of 3 creatures out before Adeliz hits the field, and swing for a total of +16 damage on turn 4, which will often be game.
In regards to the Beamsplitter Mage, I chose him over the other suggested creatures after a LOT of playtesting. After about 30 matches with each potential combination, he was the one that was most consistent through it all. While I agree that the Maximizes are too telegraphed, having them be able to be cast twice total helps with the lack of card draw issue, by basically having extra spells to use in the graveyard for when I get mana flooded. I promise, I've tried to think of just about every possible situation, and tested over 7 different variations on this deck, but for pure aggro and speed, this was the best I could find. The only thing that kept up, changes-wise, was subbing in several more cantrips like Warlord's Fury and Opt for the Maximizes, and trading Perilous Voyage for Radical Idea, then getting Goblin Electromancer in the two drop slot. Also, one of the wizards would come out for Lightning Strike. But the deck had less consistency in actual playtests against other real decks. Against a control matchup, who can maybe take out one of my creatures starting turn 2 or 3, but the enchantments can be handled by Perilous Voyage, this deck, with its sheer VOLUME of casts and creatures, would far outpace and win 8/10 times.
You suggestions are awesome, though, and I'm going to consider them in some of my other Izzet decks (I totally don't have 5 built at this exact moment, that would be crazy, right?!) and see how they work out. As for brawl, Adeliz was my commander too, but the format did NOT survive locally. Thanks again for the awesome tips, and I look forward to collaborating more in the future!
2 weeks ago
- I think the package of Beamsplitter Mage, Maximize Altitude, and Maximize Velocity is a trap. Yes, it's super nice when you get to duplicate one of the Maximize spells, but that's only going to be the times when you have Beamsplitter. Yes, it's even better when they give the creatures +2/+2, but that's only going to happen when you have Beamsplitter AND Adeliz, the Cinder Wind (which is only going to be T4 at the earliest). Additionally, the drag about these is that they are sorcery speed, which means you have to telegraph what you're doing, and just about the only card in your deck worth pitching for their jump start is going to be a land... I'd replace all 12 of those with other options (a wizard of your choosing and 8 instants/sorceries would be my first instinct).
Other wizards to consider: