Creature — Vedalken Artificer
Improvise *(Your artifacts can help cast this spell. Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for .)
Hexproof (This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Bastion Inventor Discussion
3 weeks ago
Rilikb, welcome to Tappedout!
Because of your budget and not having access to dual lands I recommend you go with only two colors and if you must a small splash of the third with help from Aether Hub, Spire of Industry and Prophetic Prism. I wouldn't use four colors without having a lot of dual lands. You'll also going for an aggro strategy; the more colors you use the worst it will be. Not being able to play your cards when you want to. Aggro is about filling the battlefield with power in the early game using aggression, you don't want your manabase to slow you down at this stage of the game.
Consider changing your deck into two colors, blue and red possibly including a small black splash for Tezzeret's Touch keeping the artificer strategy with Inventor's Goggles, but also including improvise. I recommend blue and red because these colors give you the most amount of good artificers out of the other colors. Good artificers in these colors are:
The strategy of playing artificers with Inventor's Goggles is nice, but consider expanding on this by also including artificers with improvise. Once you get Goggles on the battlefield being able to use it not only to equip for free to artificers, but also to help improvise is good. Pia Nalaar is a good artificer for the improvise strategy because she makes an artifact. The Servos that Swooper and Chaser can make can be used to improvise. Sweatworks Brawler is a great artificer with Goggles because Goggles can help to cast him ahead of curve as well as give him 4 power with menace and 5 toughness is also nice.
I'm not going to give you a complete list that's for you to decide, but here's the starting core I would use:
- 4x Inventor's Apprentice
- 4x Aether Swooper
- 4x Aether Chaser
- 3x Pia Nalaar
- 4x Sweatworks Brawler
- 4x Inventor's Goggles
- 4x Prophetic Prism
- 4x Highland Lake
- 4x Aether Hub
- 2x Spire of Industry
This core lets you be more aggressive with Goggles and Apprentice. Goggles with Swooper or Chaser into Brawler is a nice curve. I've included Prism because it's a cheap artifact that draws a card and it can fix mana for you. Prism is also pretty good with Tezzeret's Touch if you're choosing to include it. Bastion Inventor is another good artificer with improvise although not as good as Brawler, but hexproof is powerful. You're going to want some kind of cheap main deck removal there are a lot of options, Harnessed Lightning is the best as is Incendiary Flow, it's good and even though Flow is sorcery it's better to cover a wider range of creatures to kill.
Metallic Rebuke is an improvise counterspell it gives you a mid to late game ability to counter your opponent's big creature, Planeswalker or mass removal spell. Pacification Array or Deadlock Trap are artifact options to tap down creatures and other permanents. Array is a one drop artifact which can be used to improvise if you don't need to tap down a creature or artifact.
If you're looking to include some more draw as well as improve energy production Era of Innovation is an option since it works with both artificers and artifacts both are being played.
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
I can always work Improvise cards into the deck using little Servos, courtesy of Aether Swooper, giving Metallic Rebuke and Bastion Inventor a ton of value. Bastion Inventor is an Artificer on top of having Hexproof, which means he can give me energy through Era of Innovation.
I'm not sure that I am quite as fond of the Whir of Invention. I like the use of the card, but Inventors' Fair is actually a bit better I think at searching cards in this deck. It's a little bit cheaper on the mana, plus it provides some Life-gain.
Really solid suggestions, thank you!
1 month ago
What are your thoughts on:
2 months ago
Wedge/Shard additions based on our discussion yesterday:
- Sphinx of the Steel Wind
- Teneb, the Harvester
- Queen Marchesa
- Narset, Enlightened Master
- Surrak Dragonclaw
- Blade of the Bloodchief
- Mycosynth Wellspring (too narrow I think)
- Ichor Wellspring (same)
- Trading Post (you said you didnt like it. Im fine to cut it.
- Brago, King Eternal
- Swans of Bryn Argoll
- Thistledown Liege
- Fires of Yavimaya
- Blood Baron of Vizkopa
- Treasury Thrull
- Bounty of the Luxa
- Shattergang Brothers
- Ghave, Guru of Spores
- Derevi, Empyrial Tactician
- Sharuum the Hegemon
- Wall of Omens
- Wall of Essence
- Aerie Mystics
- Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
- Planar Cleansing (maybe Austere Command instead)
- Citadel Siege (doesnt support any particular archetype, not good enough for good stuff)
- Fog Bank
- Guard Gomazoa
- Wall of Frost
- Bastion Inventor (doesnt do enough I dont think, but we can re-evaluate if we take this more in the affinity direction)
- War Tax
- March of the Machines (it doesnt seem like this is what the artefact deck wants to do for now!)
- Courier's Capsule (to me this is just a worse version of Etherium Astrolabe)
- Scepter of Fugue (doesnt really do anything
- Rhonas the Indomitable (Nylea is just better for this archetype I think)
Note: Nothing has been cut yet. Do you agree with them? If not, please let me know which :)
2 months ago
Change Log 01/05/17
Added colored artifacts for the Dimir artifact archetype. Thought it would be a good idea to include some Dimir/X artifacts as well for some added variance.
- Executioner's Capsule (artifact removal)
- Scepter of Fugue (cross archetype artifact. could work in punisher?)
- Sharuum the Hegemon (Gives us a reason to splash white)
- Silas Renn, Seeker Adept (good blocker, does stuff when it connects)
- Noxious Gearhulk (bomb)
- Sphinx Sovereign (decent top end, gives orzhov drain a payoff for splashing blue)
- Sphinx Summoner (value fliers. can't say no)
- Tidehollow Strix (this card is probably too shitty... BUT it's a nice rattlesnake in Dimir, which is good in multiplayer, and it's an artifact. Thoughts?)
- Cranial Plating (duh)
- Bident of Thassa (messes with opponents' combat and is an artifact. seems like other decks might want this, which is why i like it)
- Courier's Capsule (it's possible that this card just sucks, but I wanted to cast a wide net)
- Etherium Astrolabe (need sac outlets for Spine etc.)
- Etherium Sculptor (cost reduction)
- Ethersworn Adjudicator (good beater, another reason to splash white)
- Filigree Sages (this actually seems kinda bad now that I think of it. what do you think?)
- Inkwell Leviathan (duh)
- Mask of Riddles (maybe this sucks, but it's a good way to sneak in some damage and get cards while being an artifact)
- Master of Etherium (duh)
- Master Transmuter (duh)
- Sharding Sphinx (good top end)
- Skill Borrower (possible terrible, but could be fun. We need to see if there are enough activated abilities in the archetype to justify this)
- Thopter Foundry (need sac outlets, card is just value. we will not include the combo I don't think)
- Bastion Inventor (seems decent, but maybe a bit underpowered in multiplayer)
- Herald of Anguish (duh)
- Reverse Engineer (draw that rewards artifact decks. maybe too specific? probably better for the cube to just put some other draw in this slot)
- Sly Requisitioner (good way to get value from your sacced artifacts. also lines up nicely against the grave pact deck)
- Whir of Invention (duh)
- Wurmcoil Engine (duh)
- Spine of Ish Sah (duh)
- Solemn Simulacrum (duh)
- Scrap Trawler (duh)
- Treasure Keeper (duh)
- Filigree Familiar (duh)
- Epochrasite (i'm not super sold on this, but I like recurrable creatures in multiplayer, so this seems nice)
- Lodestone Golem (possibly too annoying)
- Scarecrone (duh)
- Foundry Inspector (duh)
- Palladium Myr (duh)
- Trading Post (duh)
- Myr Retriever (duh)
- Ichor Wellspring (duh)
- Mycosynth Wellspring (duh)
- Pristine Talisman (duh)
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas (not sure actually whether this is the right tez for this archetype. both of the ones from kaladesh seem spicy. what do you think?)
OVERALL THOUGHTS: I'm a bit worried that this archetype as it is now builds itself too easily. I would prefer to have more cross-pollination among archetypes and less "this card is only good in the artifact deck". There is a risk that having both goblins (which are basically junk cards if no one is in the archetype) and artifacts (many of which are only good in the Dimir archetype) dilute the cube too much, making the less archetype-driven decks worse off due to fewer playables. What do you think?
2 months ago
2 months ago
Cool deck, but I would recommend adding more artifacts in order for Bastion Inventor to be cheaper. Just a little bit more.
3 months ago
you can probably cut ruinous path down to 2 or 3, mainboard sorcery speed isn't as relevant. instead, you can have 4x of Grasp of Darkness, etc. if this isn't budget, Fatal Push is great as well. Bastion Inventor is strictly better than barricade breaker, because of hexproof, opponent's can't remove it. standard has so many useful removal spells, that bastion inventor works better. weaker, but harder to remove.
some additional nice cards are
although it is fine staying blue black, IMO adding red may be better, because it opens you up to cards like Unlicensed Disintegration, Pia Nalaar (for unblockable stuff also outlet for useless artifacts), and Maverick Thopterist.
you may want to increase your land count up to 24, maybe cut noxious gearhulk down to 3, lupine protector to 2, and remove a metallic rebuke? you generally want around 24 lands in a deck like this. hope this helps (: