|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Barrier of Bones
Creature — Skeleton Wall
When Barrier of Bones enters the battlefield, surveil 1. (Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card into your graveyard.)
Barrier of Bones Discussion
2 months ago
Hi, killer_eye! Between work and summer break, I haven't gotten to play as much pauper as I'd like so I haven't actually played any games with Ransack the Lab yet. My goldfishing suggests that it's worth playing, but I don't know whether or not four is the right number. As for Barrier of Bones , I'll be sure to give it a shot once I can start playing again because, like you said, Fume Spitter looks really bad in the current meta.
I'm also seriously considering dropping Krosan Tusker in the near future. Do you have any suggestions?
2 months ago
hi veggiesaurusrex! it's me again, just want to share Barrier of Bones which i'm liking a lot in the slot of Fume Spitter . infect and faeries are nowhere to be seen in the current meta for Fume Spitter to shine. what i like with Barrier of Bones is the surveil, also not a bad topdeck because of this and it's 3 toughness enough to block aggressive X/2 creatures which we have a lot in pauper.
3 months ago
4 months ago
Hey, good start, but with Liliana as Commander consider expanding on the sacrifice theme? Sacrifice strategies with aristocrats can be good and powerful, but you need to commit to them with many sac outlets to make the payoffs for sacing creatures worth it. Cards such as Liliana herself, Pawn of Ulamog , Sifter of Skulls , Grim Haruspex , etc. are payoffs for sacing creatures, but they're lackluster without sac support.
Cards that are within your deck's budget to consider adding for sacrifice strategy:
- Viscera Seer
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan
- Carrion Feeder
- Ashnod's Altar or Altar of Dementia : Dementia is better than Ashnods for the strategies here because it's a repeatable enabler to get creatures into your graveyard, but it's also more expensive price.
- Blood Artist
Reanimation is a fine secondary strategy to use consider also expanding on it:
- Cryptbreaker : repeatable way to discard cards and get value in return.
- Stinkweed Imp : dredge is a fast and repeatable way to get creatures into your graveyard.
- Golgari Thug
- Putrid Imp
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : enabler to get cards into your graveyard and reanimation.
- Living Death : mass reanimation and mass sacrifice.
- Command the Dreadhorde : mass reanimation using life which you have a lot of in Commander.
Other cards to consider adding:
- Crypt Ghast : mono black staple.
- Necropotence : mono black staple, less good when you have to discard unless you have a tons of cards in hand.
- Mutilate : powerful board wipe when playing lots of Swamps.
- Bubbling Muck
- Sign in Blood
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel : great payoff for playing mono black.
- Bloodgift Demon
- Reliquary Tower
- Hero's Downfall
Cards to consider cutting (no order):
- Raise Dead
- Sword-Point Diplomacy
- Dark Dabbling
- Bone Harvest
- Dead Reckoning
- Death Denied
- Liliana's Spoils
- Swarm of Bloodflies
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir
- Barrier of Bones : can be upgraded.
- Cadaver Imp : can be upgraded.
- Spellbook : can be upgraded.
- Indulgent Tormentor : can be upgraded.
- Mindwrack Demon : can be upgraded.
- Puppeteer Clique : can be upgraded.
- Wailing Ghoul : can be upgraded.
- Ever After : can be upgraded.
- Ulamog's Crusher : eight drop.
- Visara the Dreadful : seven drop.
- Butcher of Malakir : seven drop.
- Necromantic Selection : seven drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Harvester of Souls : six drop redundancy that you don't need.
- Sifter of Skulls : redundancy that you don't need.
4 months ago
I don't know how long your typical games go but i think that It That Betrays hard to cast at 12 mana as a deck with no mana ramp other then Dark Ritual Cabal Ritual and Cabal Stronghold so unless you us a tutor then you might struggle to cast it.
I personally don't like Mindwrack Demon the delirium effect can be rough if you hit the wrong cards with the ETB or if against graveyard hate but if you like a big demon Demon of Catastrophes which also works as a sudo sacrifice outlet. Also not sure about Barrier of Bones
I can't think of any black instant or sorcery recursion, I think that is more of a blue thing might be wrong though
5 months ago
beetleborgs, no problem. Reaper is defo on the stronger side and is a strong body that can trade in the early game. My problem with The Haunt of Hightower is that it is 3 toughness and it dies to a shock easily. Doom Whisperer would probably be the better option here though it needs some testing. If early game and matchups against red aggro is a problem, then maybe Barrier of Bones but it's probably not the most optimal choice.
6 months ago
I love this deck and the lifegain scheme. Consider maybe Edgewalker so that your commander becomes free and replaying your commander each time she dies will remain cheap for a long time. Too, most of your other clerics too will be free to play or cost 1 colorless. Then also think about Victimize in order to replay the ones you sacrifice to your commander's effect. You're running a lot of sacrifice-your-own-creature effects so you'll need ways to get more creatures on the board, not only to sacrifice, but to block opponent attacks you don't want to take. To that end, I'd probably take out Barrier of Bones and maybe look at putting up some flying deathtouch creatures, so that your opponents aren't hitting you and triggering their own win cons in doing so. There's nothing like hiding behind a wall of deathtouch while you drain & lifegain without ever having to attack. :)
8 months ago
Fun! It feels like surveil is more of an all-in strategy for it to be great, except for Underrealm Lich or Doom Whisperer , while dredge is generally fantastic in this strategy. I'd agree that Dimir Informant and Barrier of Bones may not produce enough value as the way you use that 1 creature cast from the graveyard that turn, while dredge provides the value without taking up the creature cast. It's too bad there wasn't an artifact creature with a surveil etb trigger!
Like skoobysnackz says, Stinkweed Imp does seem like a great option as a replacement. More value than Dimir Informant as it also discourages attacks. I don't know if Golgari Thug has enough synergy in here though, I think he's better in something like Gitrog where you have easy card draw and are less likely to play creatures from the graveyard.
Jade Mage could be better than Slimefoot...? She doesn't have the die trigger for the saprolings, but she is 1 cheaper to play (and replay), and 1 cheaper for creating saprolings, so more useable as a sink when you don't have the huge mana turns. Or, if mana isn't a problem in general and you want the mass saproling army, maybe Nemata, Grove Guardian . It seems like you don't have enough sac outlets to really make the Slimefoot trigger valuable and Nemata, while more expensive to cast, gives cheaper saprolings and a way to make that wide army tall. Just some thoughts - if Slimefoot has been performing, then by all means!
I love the interactivity of this deck, Muldrotha seems so fun as a tool box!
No data for this card yet.