|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Target attacking creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn.
Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.
Balduvian Rage Discussion
5 days ago
Yeah man, this one is tough. It looks pretty good, although I think I may take out some of the artifact hate and instead put in more targeted pump spells. You have a lot of protection spells (although maybe lacking a Gods Willing ) and double-strike spells, but you have few actual pump spells. Some of the spells I think can be upgraded, namely Boros Charm , Blessed Alliance , and maybe Balduvian Rage . These are good cards, but specifically with the indestructible spells, they are mostly used to counteract wrath effects which are not played in Tiny Leaders because of the mana cost restriction. You might look into Reckless Charge , Brute Force , Rush of Blood , Titan's Strength , and things of the like. I like the heroic package. Some of the other creatures you can probably cut without too much loss. Taking out Duergar Hedge-Mage and Electrostatic Field is where I would start. They just seem slow and kind of clunky. I could see Akroan Crusader and especially Dreadhorde Arcanist fitting nicely. This style of deck is entirely focused on what it is trying to do, so if you are interacting with the opponent it means you are detracting from the power of the deck, which is to apply pressure. Nice build though, I am not looking forward to facing it!
5 days ago
Psychotic Fury is great for this with your sunforger package. Card draw is hard to come by in boros and in my opinion useful cantrips are key to keeping tempo.
1 month ago
multimedia Thanks for your suggestions! My deck did run Balduvian Rage for a long time; but I decided against it for two reasons: for one; it’s a fake instant. You can only cast it on an Attacking creature, so you completely miss out on the recast ability a “lesser” card like, say, Titan's Strength gives you. That, plus the fact that you pretty much have to tap out (4 mana for a pump spell is a LOT in this deck) to make it equal to said Titan's Strength just isn’t worth it imo. Plus, Orim’s Thunder is a repeatable destruction spell that I can kick while Sunforger tutors it up; which I find baddass.
Stand Firm is a highly underrated card in this deck as scrying two in the late game really helps me dig for answers or protection; and honestly I think more decks should run it. The stat boost is minimal compared to the recurring value of possibly scrying 8 before your next turn begins. That said; if they ever print an instant of Seize the Day that is 4CMC or less you’d better bet your ass I’ll add it in.
Knight of the White Orchid was originally in this deck but I removed it for a Tithe , so that way I can search for Mistveil Plains and get that sweet Sunforger synergy. If I could make a cut that would allow me both Knight AND the Bauble I’d be happy; as the Knight is situational in that I need LESS lands than my opponent whereas Bauble don’t care. That, and I run Bauble for the minute chance I can drop it whilst I control a Monastery Mentor . That’s it. Knight is just a decent bear that I wouldn’t want to target over any other creature in the deck.
Guttersnipe is, admittedly, a great card; that I would love to reinclude at some point just for pure value; but alas the vast majority of the time I win through Feather going face REALLY hard instead of my tokens getting the reacharound; so Guttersnipe’s aoe damage isn’t as valuable to me right now... plus, Akroan Conscriptor has some Janky combos of his own; allowing me to Cloudshift a creature he stole to allow me to keep it for forever: or even Path to Exile it so I can ramp while removing their board! :D
Forbidden Orchard is neat; though I’m not a fan of giving my opponents reseources when my gameplan is to out value them. Ill give it thought.
1 month ago
Hey, nice version.
Upgrades to consider:
1 month ago
1 month ago
I’ve been debating adding Amber to my own list just for additional colored mana; but the possibility of having a “dead card” in hand feels really harsh to me... however being able to drop it alongside Feather to have open protection also sounds decent.
As far as cards like Wisps, Heal , and Bandage go; are you getting your mileage out of them simply for the card draw? Or are you also getting use out of their abilities? I understand your reasoning for not using more combat oriented/ narrow cards such as Psychotic Fury or Balduvian Rage in the list; though I would be hard pressed to drop my Rage for anything due to just how potent double strike is on Feather.
Been lurking on your list for a while, keep it up!
1 month ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
1 month ago
Hey jconeil1988, I thought Puresteel was already in the deck :) If you have him definitely add him. I thought you were playing the artifact lands specifically to activate metalcraft with Puresteel?
You should check out new Feather, the Redeemed . This Angel is very good with Aurelia. She holds equipment very well especially Sunforger. It doesn't matter what creature you control who you target with an instant or sorcery as long as the spell targeted a creature you control it will trigger Feather's ability. The card you exiled is returned to your hand at the beginning of the next end step. This includes your opponents end steps which is amazing.
Obviously a deck built around Feather as the Commander is going to be better suited to abuse her ability especially being able to do Commander damage. Feather is just a good card to play in any Boros deck, 3/4 flying for three mana, but beyond the good stats she gives you card advantage which outside of Sunforger Boros lacks a lot of.
The interaction of Feather and Sunforger is great because you cast the instant you tutor for with Sunforger which triggers Feather's ability. There's a package of cards that are busted with Feather ( Balduvian Rage , Expedite , Defiant Strike , Shelter , etc.) and unfortunately there's not enough deck space for most of them and you don't really need them with Aurelia. Combining the strategies of Feather, Aurelia and Sunforger however would be a nice challenge because Aurelia, Feather and Sunforger are three of the best Boros cards to play.
Magnetic Theft is very good with Feather, Sunforger and other equipment, repeatedly each turn letting you bypass the equip cost of an equipment. Puresteel also does this, but Theft is an instant and Sunforger can tutor for it, can cast it, meaning you can equip at instant speed.
Aurelia's Fury is already in your deck and it's powerful with Feather because you can choose what targets take damage. Target Feather, doing 1 damage to her and then do the rest of the damage depending on how much mana you paid to other targets. Since you targeted and did 1 damage to Feather this doesn't kill her and it triggers her ability letting you repeatedly use Fury.
Boros Charm is a staple card for Sunforger packages and it's just as good with Feather because one of it's modes lets you target a creature giving it double strike. The combination of Mistveil, Feather's ability and Sunforger gives you a ton of resiliency with instants and sorceries.
Seize the Day is also powerful with Feather because it targets a creature you control to untap which triggers Feather's ability. With Feather, Aurelia and Siege you can get three combat phases a turn. First attack with Aurelia this triggers her ability getting a second combat phase. After the second combat, at your second main phase, cast Siege targeting either Aurelia or Feather to then get another combat phase as well as a main phase and trigger Feather.
Cloudshift is another good spell with Feather and Aurelia to get three combat steps on your turn. Attack with Aurelia triggering a second combat phase then blink Aurelia with Cloudshift. Aurelia ETB as a new instance which means you can then attack at your second combat phase with new Aurelia and then get another combat phase, the third one of your turn. Three combat phases for one mana is pretty good. Add Feather and you can repeatably use Cloudshift and do this interaction each turn.
Balduvian Rage occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%