|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors (DDU)||None|
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Draw two cards. If you control no artifacts, discard a card.
Artificer's Epiphany Discussion
6 days ago
Wow, a wall of text with potentially useful advice.
"is not really needed since most cards are instants and can be cast immediately after attacking with Narset."
A simple Manalith would aid in getting out Narset. As it stands, you will only be able to get Narset on turn 6, assuming you don't miss a land drop.
- You have no haste granting cards, so your strategy will only take off on turn 7 if you are lucky and nobody plays an Edict effect..
- Most people can gain a significant advantage by turn 7 if all goes well. No amount of counters can stop 3 opponent's from building their boards. You'll be a sitting duck most of the time.
There is a reason almost all commander decks run a Sol Ring . The faster you can play your strategy, the more likely you are to win.
"unless they are instant cards i don't really need them."
- Chemister's Insight is strictly better than Inspiration . There is no reason you cannot use both, but Chemister's Insight has far more utility.
- Counterspell , Archmage's Charm , Sinister Sabotage , Thought Collapse , and Dissolve are all strictly better than Cancel , and those are the cheap $$$ counters.
- Lightning Bolt and Skewer the Critics are strictly better than Lightning Strike and Wizard's Lightning especially considering you don't have any wizards.
- Your deck runs Lifelink . The card itself is cheap, but by the time your Commander is out, cost shouldn't be a consideration. Cards like Daybreak Coronet and Steel of the Godhead provide you with far more utility.
Questionably, you are running Artificer's Epiphany with only one artifact in the deck.
- You are running 11 counters as control. Those 11 counters won't do you any good with Narset unless you plan to counter your own spells. Running cards like Disperse keeps stuff off the field and will be still be useful if you happen to exile it later on.
Your burn spells won't do much against larger creatures either.
"this is not a budget deck. budget, mana or money, is not a priority. if it somehow is then it is merely a coincidence."
- I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but I feel the need to advise you that:
- Your mana base does, in fact, matter.
- You have far better options for cards.
- The only reason to play this deck as it is, is if you were on a budget. If you are not, then you can certainly replace the cards with better versions.
7 months ago
Okay so I've got some time, let's get into this...
1) I think Shu-Yun is an interesting choice for a budget commander because he relies on killing opponents quickly, but with budget decks, you're going to be winning much later in the game. He's also interesting because he focuses on quick combat instead of really building up a boardstate. I think the first thing to do would be to abolish the idea of a turn 4-6 win, decks like ours are going to try and grind out the game with cheap removal and synergy, waiting for the right time to strike. Maybe the problem is that the deck wants to win too fast and the budget can't compensate for that, just my idea.
2)You should probably cut the uncommons, things like Invert/Invent, Jace's Ingenuity , Rush of Blood (even though this card is super cool and I'm going to put in one of my other decks), Concentrate , Rise from the Tides , Butcher's Cleaver , Hero's Blade , Inquisitor's Flail , Vessel of Endless Rest , Illusory Ambusher , Smelt-Ward Minotaur , and Whirler Rogue . While these cards are awesome in the deck, they're a huge deficit to your budget and cutting them is 12 less cards. I've found that with a budget like this, it's best to cut to $0.15 commons. Will it be as fast? No. Will it be $10 or under? Yes.
3)Have you considered building from the bottom up? Instead of adjusting my previous commanders, I usually just pull out a fresh sheet of paper and start from there. I feel that it opens up more gateways for deckbuilding and instead of having to cut expensive cards, you can decide which cards to add one at a time. Cutting is also just kind of negative and personally I feel a lot happier seeing: "this card is so sweet for $0.15!" Instead of: "Ugh I can't run this card because it's over budget." This could just be me of course.
4) As for specific cuts, here's what I'd take out(excluding the uncommons I pointed out earlier): Artificer's Epiphany : There are better draw spells out there; Contradict : Again, there are better spells; Depths of Desire : Generally, I dislike bounce, even in Red/Blue but this spell just isn't good, especially when you want to cast Shu Yun on turn 3; Enhanced Awareness : Way too expensive for the effect; Leave in the Dust : From your comments, it seems like you want to win faster, so I would cut these mana-intensive bounce spells so you can run cantrips, also Unsummon is $0.15 on SCG; Prying Eyes : yeah this card is just objectively bad in my opinion, even for a $10 deck; Repulse : Same thing I said before about bounce spells, the card draw isn't worth paying more mana; Scatter Arc : I feel like a lot of the bounce/counterspells are in this deck because they say "Draw a card" paying 2 more mana for a negate that draws you a card is not with it, you could do more with that two extra mana. Sweep Away : Yeah this is way too conditional to actually work out; Aether Tunnel : Yes I know you said you wanted to keep this, but playing it makes Shu Yun a huge target and it's budget intensive. Skygames : This enchantment is okay, but It's definitely not great, especially when compared to your other auras; Highland Lake and Izzet Boilerworks : Yes I know it's important to have mana, but running basics gives you more choices. That's pretty much all I've got for now on cuts.
I wish you the best of luck, but I'm about to pass out so goodnight, I hope this made sense!
1 year ago
I have a Sludge Strider PDH deck as well and I fell for the same cards first. But I really think Drafna's Restoration and Frantic Salvage are traps. They're not really card advantage and they obstruct your draws, you don't get anything new for a few turns. It might be ok_-ish_ if you can follow it up directly with a draw spell, but again: card advantage is something different.
So I'd instantly switch those without any hesitation for real card advantage like Foresee, Treasure Cruise, Deep Analysis, or Read the Bones. Or, to stick with the theme of the deck, Tezzeret's Ambition and Artificer's Epiphany instead.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Silent Sentinel: high CMC and life-gain in EDH is meh unless you will actively use it (ex. Aetherflux Reservoir).
Battle wise Hoplite: underwhelming all-over.
Daxos of Melts: his trigger is pretty niche. Maybe ok 1v1 but multiplayer it will be not as easily obtained.
Celestial Mantle: /insert SS's reason\
Corrupted Conscience: infect is tricky because once people see you use it, next game they may gun for you to prevent it. And playing Bruna will already have people gunning for you. Your call.
Mask of Avacyn: better hexproof enablers out there. I like Lightning Greaves for haste, protection, and Bruna's ability doesn't care about shroud. Ring of Evos Isle slowly boosts Bruna and 2 for hexproof is not too shabby.
Looting spells; like Artificer's Epiphany, Catalog, Pull from Tomorrow, etc. are great with Bruna because they let you dig deep into your library to find answers and discarding auras is fine because she can reattach them for free. Generally whoever can draw the most cards in EDH will win. You have next to no draw so add in a bunch in the 2-4 CMC range.
Key to the City would be great in here too, unblockable and draw.
You have so little ramp despite playing a 6CMC general. I know you know how curves work so fix this with a cursory view of her edhrec page.
You have next to no enchantment/artifact removal. Austere Command, Aura Blast, Dismantling Blow, Fragmentize, Ray of Distortion, Terashi's Grasp, etc. I personally like the ones that will draw you a card in addition to removing a problem.
Also a cursory look at her edhrec for lands will help you improve it. We have a lot of the better UW lands too.
Since this seems mainly voltron, I'd add in Crawlspace in addition to your other pillow fort effects. Redundancy is key.
1 year ago
I agree you need some more fixing, also get rid of a lot of the 4 drops. You can use Thopter Spy Network and Thopter Engineer in most of the places of your 4 drop creatures that dont make tokens on entry, Pia and Kiran Nalaar are really solid too. Servo Exhibition is good also. Smuggler's Copter should be a 4 of for this deck to function well, Shrapnel Blast and Fiery Conclusion are solid removal pieces that cost you a single token. Artificer's Epiphany is good draw, and Court Homunculus might be a good addition as well. I would want 4 Fleetwheel Cruiser also.
1 year ago
Just take out some counterspells and some walls, I recommend getting ride of:- Glacial Wall- Hover Barrier- Inspiration- Argent Sphinx- Cancel- Void Shatter- Rewind- Impulse- Basalt Monolith- Artificer's Epiphany- Careful StudyI would also put in a few more artifacts and take out some of those draw spells, counterspells and walls, because you want to be able to hit Qumulox and Broodstar and reliably make them super cheap.
1 year ago
No data for this card yet.