|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Beast
Hooded Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Hooded Hydra dies, put a 1/1 green Snake creature token onto the battlefield for each +1/+1 counter on it.
As Hooded Hydra is turned face up, put five +1/+1 counters on it.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Arborback Stomper Discussion
1 week ago
possible cuts: Dragon Throne of Tarkir, Garruk's Horde, Vine Mare, crash of the rhino beetles, Creeperhulk, Arborback Stomper, Rampaging Baloths, Spidery Grasp adds: Harrow Krosan Grip Ezuri's Predation lands
2 months ago
5 months ago
Hey, looks fun, but not sure if it's competitive. How does this deck beat red aggro? If you can't beat red aggro in Standard then it's pretty hard to be competitive.
Consider Gift of Paradise? It's been one of the best ramp spells in Standard for quite some time now. The 3 life gain is very much wanted to help in aggro matchups. Paradise into Hour is a play that has been done since the beginning of this year. Being able to play Hour turn four and get two Deserts thus creating two Zombies is a way to stabilize in aggro matchups.
Consider Druid of the Cowl? The 3 toughness is wanted with a mana dork right now it's good to block aggro turn two and ramp other turns. 3 toughness means it doesn't die to ETB Goblin Chainwhirler, Shock or Spray. More early game ramp lets you play Hour more consistently. Consider Pelakka Wurm. It's a stabilizer for ramp.
Consider Temur instead of Sultai? Red for Banefire. It's a great spell to use ramp with because it's a win condition that control has a lot of trouble stopping--Negate can't stop a six or more mana Banefire. Abrade gives you a nice removal spell to slow down aggro in the early game kills Chainwhirler or Heart of Kiran without any fuss. It also gives you a main deck answer to artifact graveyard hate or Scavenger. Sweltering Suns and Hour of Devastation are board wipes that can help you in aggro and midrange matchups. Devastation kills Gods and Planeswalkers.
Consider Chandra, Torch of Defiance? She's ramp, shes draw and she's removal. Everything you want for a Planeswalker here.
Consider this creature base:
- 4x Druid of the Cowl
- 3x Excavator
- 3x Wayward Swordtooth
- 2x Tatyova
- 1x Multani
- 1x Pelakka
Consider this other spells package:
- 4x Paradise
- 4x Hour
- 1x Scapeshift
- 4x Abrade
- 2x Sweltering
- 1x Devastation
- 1x Banefire
- 1x Mending
- 1x Karn
- 1x Chandra
For the sideboard I recommend Arborback Stomper, Glorybringer, Magma Spray for aggro matchups. Negate, Nissa, Vital Force, more Banefire for control matchups and Vivien for white control matchups. For midrange matchups more Devastation, more Tatyova, Glorybringer, Tyrant, Vivien and Sandwurm Convergence.
Good luck with your deck.
8 months ago
- Is Eldrazi Monument a bit risky because it dies after a boardwipe?
- Is Worldspine Wurm's casting cost too expensive?
- Is Living Hive and Giant Adephage and Gigantomancer too slow/not enough value from the mana investment?
- Is 30 basic forest plus 9 non-basic land too little, too many, or ok?
- Is Abzan Beastmaster good enough card draw?
- Are the lifegain cards needed/good enough? Essence Warden and Arborback Stomper
- Is Druidic Satchel too slow and mana intensive?
- Is Nissa's Revelation too expensive and inconsistent?
- Is Moonsilver Spear a bit counter-intuitive in an anti-flyer deck? It's supposed to synergise with the token creation and a way to fight opponents' flyers.
- Should I play Squirrel Nest to combine with my Earthcraft for the infinite squirrel combo, or is that a bit inconsistent and unfair?
- Is Whisperwood Elemental any good? It does not synergise with the token creation theme, and has other risks.
- Is Whispersilk Cloak any good? it seems and over costed Swiftfoot Boots, but do I need to protect my commander, plus the unblockable might be valid.
- Is Archetype of Endurance worth it, as it seems like a not as good Asceticism?
9 months ago
I played 2 matches against your playtester mono red deck. The first match was 1-2 the next was 2-1. I felt lucky to have won. Mono red deck got stuck on 3 lands with a 2-3 four drops in hand for two of the 6 games.
I dont think that I would win matches 50% of the time against mono red but the fact that it only took two matches to beat it is encouraging since it appears to be one of the worst match ups.
In the matches I did:
9 months ago
I almost forgot to suggest a sidecard if you have issues with re-animator decks, or blue gearhulks. I suggest adding a copy of Crook of Condemnation. The card can be used to keep cards out of their graveyard and can stop gearhulks from ever getting their targeted spell for recasting. You can maybe take out a Duress or the Arborback Stomper for room.
Glad you liked the previous suggestion of the Ballista. Was worried about the suggestion since it has a bit of a price tag to it. Best of luck with the next tournament.
10 months ago
10 months ago
Yeah my bro gave me this deck the way it was and now I'm trying to work with it. I love ETB effects and I usually only play against 1-2 other players. So the deck needs to be fast. I feel like I could get some better ETB cards and also some better cards that allow me to trigger them more often. Sorry I'm not more specific I don't know that much about magic. My nephew just gave me Arborback Stomper and Elvish Visionary. I took out Azami, Lady of Scrolls and Bane of Progress.