|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Divine vs. Demonic (DDC)||Uncommon|
|Tenth Edition (10E)||Uncommon|
|Ninth Edition (9ED)||Uncommon|
|Ninth Edition Foreign Black Border (9EDFBB)||Uncommon|
|Eighth Edition (8ED)||Uncommon|
|Starter 1999 (S99)||Uncommon|
|Portal Second Age (P02)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Angel of Mercy
Creature — Angel
Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)
When Angel of Mercy enters the battlefield, you gain 3 life.
Angel of Mercy Discussion
2 months ago
You said in your thread in the deck help forum that you wanted to get it down to 66, so that is 18 cuts.
Trespasser's Curse - Curses feel unnecessarily antagonistic and this one doesn't do much.
Curator's Ward - Unlikely to ever draw you cards.
Ashes of the Abhorrent - Not good unless your meta is very graveyard heavy.
Prowler's Helm - Not a very good piece of evasion equipment.
Wing Shards - Bad except against voltron.
Nightmare's Thirst - Hardly ever going to kill anything of importance.
Mana Leak - The type of games you are likely to play with this deck tax counters won't matter.
Convolute - See above.
Healing Grace - 1 shot small amounts of lifegain aren't worth a card slot.
Dark Ritual - Rituals aren't great in commander unless it is to ramp directly into a victory and you have no insta-wins.
Vampire Sovereign - ETB doesn't justify paying the price for the body in a non-blink deck.
Angel of the God-Pharaoh - 6 mana 4/4 isn't worth it just because it has cycling.
Diamond Mare - Going to gain you much less life than you think it will.
Underworld Coinsmith - Effects aren't strong enough.
Bonus round, these cards are all relatively weak and I really think that maybe you wanted angel tribal and didn't want to say it was a tribal deck.
2 months ago
In general, my feedback is that you have too many one-shot lifegain effects for small amounts (1-3 life). These don't do enough - you have to have multiple other cards on board before they really help you/hurt others.
Cards to cut:
- Angel of Mercy - Angel of the Dawn - Angel of the God-Pharaoh - Seraph of the Suns - Serra Angel - Urgoros, the Empty One - Vampire Sovereign - Dark Ritual - Healing Grace - Fountain of Renewal - Manalith - Prowler's Helm - Behind the Scenes - Ill-Gotten Inheritance - Trespasser's Curse - Dovin Baan
A few cards to think about adding:
Last, I'll just note that Oloro is already not a beloved commander, and you're playing a lot of counter magic. You might want to think about inserting some W/U pillowfort, cause everyone is going to be coming for you.
1 year ago
That's all great, thank you for the suggestions! Cathedral Sanctifier seems like a great card (I didn't know about it), but it's also more expensive (in cents), which will push me above the arbitrary limit of $2 =) But I'll try to move these pieces around! Anointer Priest is great, but I need life before I get the token, as it triggers the token. Ideally I need creatures and spells that give me exactly 4 lives: then it triggers a free angel. Angel of Mercy for example works only because it combos with Seraph Sanctuary, something Sanctifier wouldn't do.
1 year ago
Sacred Cat might work better than Doomed Traveler since they both make a token but the cat has lifelink. Cathedral Sanctifier does the same job as Angel of Mercy but costs 4 mana less. With all these tokens Anointer Priest would help keep you gaining life. If you can make these adjustments, you could probably lower your land count. There are a few cheap enchantments that basically do what Pacifism does but also gain you some life, Faith's Fetters and Pious Interdiction. Toss them in too, you need some removal. One last cheap card to consider would be Resupply.
1 year ago
I'm not an expert, but here is some general advice that I would have ignored if i'd gotten it when i first started:
- You can't win the game just because you have a lot of life (caveat: unless your deck is designed to do that, e.g. Test of Endurance). This means cards like Angel of Mercy and Angel's Mercy are just "delay" cards - they'll keep you from dying for a turn, but nothing else. You need to be able to win otherwise. That's not to say lifegain is bad (Ajani's Pridemate would eat me if i tried), but lifegain for the sake of lifegain is insufficient.
- Walls are good only if your deck is designed to be strong in lategame. Otherwise they are bad. It took me a long time to learn that. They can't attack, generally don't have any abilities that can win the game, and generally don't even prevent you being attacked (walls like Souls of the Faultless are an exception). Blocking a creature without killing it means it will just swing at you again next turn, and next turn it might have a friend, and now you can only block one of them. So unless the deck is designed to be strong late-game, you can generally replace walls with anything else and be equivalent or better-off.
- Card synergies are important. For example, you have Wingsteed Rider, but there are only two cards in the entire deck that will actually trigger his Heroic ability: Mighty Leap and Marked by Honor. Now, the base creature isn't bad (2/2 flying for 3 is decent/average), so i'm not saying take him out. Just, keep it in mind.
- Whenever you see a card, try to look for or think of interesting interactions. Since you're new, there are a ton of cards you're unaware of, and it's hard to keep everything in mind. For example, Enchanted Evening + War Priest of Thune (if everything is an enchantment, he can kill anything) or Angel's Mercy + Sanguine Bond (you gain 7 life and they lose 7 life).
- Some cards are the same as other cards, but one is just straight-up worse than the other. I can't really think of any examples using your cards, so i'll use these instead: Open Fire is strictly worse than Lightning Strike (3 CMC vs 2), which is itself strictly worse than Lightning Bolt (2 CMC vs 1). And it's not "old cards are worse than new cards", because Open Fire was just created/released, whereas Lightning Strike has been released several times. Just something to keep in mind. Closest example I can think of using your cards aren't straight comparisons, e.g. Angel of Mercy vs Serra Angel.
- This is a good resource: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Advanced.aspx It has every single card in MTG, and their rulings. It's one of the few sites I know of where the official site is better than most fan sites
2 years ago
As Izu_Korasu said it depends on the build but here's a few cards I found that seem pretty cheeky
all around fun/broken/mean:
This is just a short list I looked through on the first 2 pages here Good luck with the build and if you start a decklist I'd love if you posted it so we could check it out
3 years ago
If you do go the Felidar Sovereign route, since you're legacy you should also run Test of Endurance as well. A good white finisher are usually in the form of Angels I feel usually has good white bombs. Akroma, Angel of Wrath, Angelic Overseer, Archangel Avacyn Flip, Blinding Angel, and Deathpact Angel
There are also Angels that buff your life as well such as Angel of Mercy, Angel of Renewal, Archangel of Thune, Battlegrace Angel, Exalted Angel, Goldnight Redeemer, Linvala, the Preserver, and Resolute Archangel
Then there are Angels that do some really funny stuff thats just useful such as Angelic Arbiter, Angelic Skirmisher, Archangel of Tithes, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Avacyn, Guardian Angel, Chancellor of the Annex, Deathless Angel, Desolation Angel, Herald of War, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Linvala, Keeper of Silence, Pristine Angel, Requiem Angel, Reya Dawnbringer, Seraph of the Sword, Shattered Angel, Sublime Archangel, Sunblast Angel, Victory's Herald, Voice of All, and Voice of Truth
My Recommendation Highlights given what your deck does are Angelic Overseer, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Iona, Shield of Emeria, Resolute Archangel, Voice of All, and Voice of Truth. However I do feel as if most, if not all of these cards would have a place somewhere in your deck, depending on what you like and what you feel will work out for you.
3 years ago
I like the feeling of the deck. Would you be concerned that in a lifegain deck that Linvala, the Preserver might not be effective as you are hoping to never have less life than your opponnent? And for that CVC you could get a straight up flyer with life-link? Maybe Angelic Skirmisher or even Angel of Mercy who just gives you three for showing up.
Just thoughts. Good luck.
No data for this card yet.