|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor
Legendary Creature — Cephalid
Tap an untapped Cephalid you control: Tap target permanent.
UUU: Tap all creatures without flying.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor Discussion
3 weeks ago
assassin: Scarblade Elite
bat: Skeletal Vampire
beast: Vitality Charm
cephalid: Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor
eldrazi spawn: Brood Birthing
giant: Hearthcage Giant
goat: Springjack Pasture
gorgon: Hythonia the Cruel
kithkin: Goldmeadow Stalwart
minion: Balthor the Defiled
moonfolk: Patron of the Moon
nightstalker: Return of the Nightstalkers
pegasus: Sacred Mesa
pentavite: Pentavus only card with pentavite, but sort of works with changelings
plant: Avenger of Zendikar
rigger: Steamflogger Boss
There's also the flagbearers: Coalition Flag Coalition Honor Guard Standard Bearer But they don't really have synergy with each other. You might be able to pull some shenanigans if you give a flagbearer hexproof or protection with a changeling out though.
Thelon of Havenwood, Fungal Bloom, Sporesower Thallid, Savage Thallid and Pallid Mycoderm are all listed as saprolings. I don't know if you merged fungus and saproling intentionally, but if you did it might make sense to change saproling tech to saproling/fungus tech.
1 month ago
I am interested in using Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor in a deck that on the norm doesn't have many fliers, but was wondering if you can use his ability effectively without them. If I swing i with a non-flier, then use the ability before they block, will it go through (as long as they don't have fliers either)
2 months ago
I'm new to commander and I'm trying to fill in the blanks. I have creatures that have the type "Legendary Creature ( Borborygmos ). Then, I have older cards with the sub type Creature Legend ( Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor ). Can Aboshan be used as a Commander or is this format for Modern printed cards. Thanks.
1 year ago
I don't usually talk too much about rearranging the lower tiers because who cares, but I think that Rayne, Academy Chancellor could potentially move up to Tier 4. Before I explain why, I want to point out the assumption I'm making: That any mono-blue general in tier 4 is going to basically be a combo/control deck that aims to deal with early threats until it assembles enough combo pieces to go off with an infinite combo (Palinchron+Deadeye Navigator, Metalworker+Staff of Domination, Future Sight+Helm of Awakening+Sensei's Divining Top, etc.). I feel that this would be the best strategy overall for this archetype, even though you could go different directions with some other generals (Tromokratis voltron, Sun Quan, Lord of Wu midrange, that one Kaho, Minamo Historian+Mana Severance deck with a million upvotes, etc.). With that in mind, let's look at Rayne and the tier 4 generals and see which of them lend themselves well to that strategy.
- Rayne, Academy Chancellor - Being able to draw a card whenever one of your permanents is targets is a very good effect. This helps out a lot in the early/mid game when you have effects like Rhystic Study or Back to Basics that your opponents will want to deal with and it protects your mana rocks from spot removal. It also helps on the combo turn - if one of your combo pieces is targeted by instant speed removal, you can potentially draw into a counterspell. The downside to this is that the format naturally favors mass removal, but if every list is optimized then spot removal will likely be more common since it's more mana efficient. There's also the relatively minor issue that you'll almost never draw 2 cards off her ability, but if you really want to then you can run Diplomatic Immunity.
- Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor - Aboshan is a card that's at odds with itself. He wants to be a stax general, but he costs 6 mana and doesn't do much to help you ignore your own stax effects. He also has no utility for your combo win condition, and his second ability is basically just a glorified Fog. I'd say Rayne is better.
- Alhammarret, High Arbiter - 7 mana Meddling Mage. Rayne is better.
- Ambassador Laquatus - Of all the mono-blue generals, Laquatus lends himself to the combo/control strategy better than most of the others on this list because he's an infinite combo outlet. I know people are going to talk about how mill is weak, so let me pre-empt those comments by saying that the win condition for Laquatus is not to mill your opponents but to mill yourself and then play Laboratory Maniac. I'm hesitant to say that he's better than Rayne because they both serve different purposes, but I'd say they're about equal.
- Barrin, Master Wizard - His ability is too narrow to do a whole lot. He does go infinite with Palinchron+Genesis Chamber but overall I just think Rayne is better.
- Braids, Conjurer Adept - Braids doesn't really lend herself well to the combo/control archetype. She's more of a midrange general who wants to drop eldrazi into play, and she's quite good at it. Because the symmetry can backfire, I'm still going to say that Rayne is better, if only slightly.
- Empress Galina - Stealing Gaea's Cradle is great, but overall I think she's just too slow. Rayne is better.
- Ertai, Wizard Adept - In my opinion, having a draw engine is better than having a repeatable way to counter spells. Although you could argue otherwise, I'd say Rayne is better.
- Hisoka, Minamo Sensei - See above, only even more so since Hisoka requires a way to keep his hand full to be viable. Rayne is better.
- Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur - The most powerful effect of any mono-blue commander in tier 4 is attached to the highest mana cost of any blue legendary. This might be a controversial statement, but I would say that Rayne is as good if not better than Jin-Gitaxias, if only because she can come down much, much earlier.
- Kaho, Minamo Historian - Yes, yes, we all know about the Mana Severance deck, but that deck is extremely vulnerable to hate and will likely only work on opponents once. It's like Sidisi Ad Nauseam with no backup plan. I'd say that Rayne is better.
- Keiga, the Tide Star - As much as I love this guy, he costs too much mana and the effect is relatively weak in a multiplayer setting. I think Rayne is better.
- Lorthos, the Tidemaker - I feel like the only reason this guy isn't tier 5 is because he can 3-shot people with commander damage. Rayne is better for obvious reasons.
- Lu Xun, Scholar General - 4 mana Shadowmage Infiltrator. Actually, Shadowmage Infiltrator would be a better general simply because it would give you access to black. Anyway, this is kind of simiar to Rayne but it's inferior because it's slower and only draws you one card at a time.
- Patron of the Moon - Goes infinite with Amulet of Vigor but requires you to run a bunch of moonfolk if you want to cast it for a reasonable mana cost, none of which are particularly good except maybe Oboro Breezecaller. Still, I think that this is one of the few mono-blue commanders in tier 4 that is even or better with Rayne.
- Sun Quan, Lord of Wu - On the one hand, Horsemanship is an ability that is almost impossible for most decks to deal with and effectively makes all your creatures unblockable. On the other hand, 6 mana is pricey and swinging with creatures is generally not the most efficient way to win in a multiplayer setting unless you have access to Craterhoof Behemoth. Rayne is better.
- Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar - Very cool effect, but 6 mana is a lot and since your draws will be replaced it means you can't win with Laboratory Maniac. I'd say Rayne is better.
- Tromokratis - see Lorthos, the Tidemaker. Seriously, what are these guys doing outside of tier 5? They're not playable in any constructed format and they're barely playable in limited.
- Uyo, Silent Prophet - I hate to sound like a broken record, but 6 mana with a weak effect is just not good. Rayne is better.
- Vendilion Clique - The best card on this list outside of a multiplayer format. Very low impact in multiplayer though. Rayne just does more for you.
- Zhuge Jin, Wu Strategist - Sun Quan is better, and Rayne is better than both of them.
So to sum up, although there are some mono-blue commanders in tier 4 than Rayne, she is better than a large majority of them. For this reason, I believe Rayne should be tier 4 instead of tier 5.
1 year ago
These are all the Blue commanders I could find that weren't in your list:
Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor, Alexi, Zephyr Mage, Alhammarret, High Arbiter, Ambassador Laquatus, Blind Seer, Braids, Conjurer Adept, Chisei, Heart of Oceans, Cloudhoof Kirin, Empress Galina, Hakim, Loreweaver, Heidar, Rimewind Master, Higure, the Still Wind, Hisoka, Minamo Sensei, Ixidor, Reality Sculptor, Keiga, the Tide Star, Lady Sun, Linessa, Zephyr Mage, Llawan, Cephalid Empress, Lu Meng, Wu General, Lu Su, Wu Advisor, Meloku the Clouded Mirror, Mistform Ultimus, Muzzio, Visionary Architect, Myojin of Seeing Winds, Patron of the Moon, Reveka, Wizard Savant, Soramaro, First to Dream, Sun Ce, Young Conquerer, Sun Quan, Lord of Wu, The Unspeakable, Uyo, Silent Prophet, Vendilion Clique, Venser, Shaper Savant, Zhou Yu, Chief Commander, and Zhuge Jin, Wu Strategist.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Trying something a little different in hopes of speeding up the updating process of the list. I created a Google doc with a version of the list that's up to date with the changes that have been approved, along with a few movements in the lower Tiers that were needed but hadn't been discussed (Venser, Shaper Savant to tier 3, Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor to Tier 4, etc).
This is mainly an attempt to help make everyone more involved in the list who wants to be. Ideally, it will store all changes until either Gigi comes back or we finally decide to create a new official list. sonnet666, NoOneOfConsequence, Didgeridooda, MTGTCG, Leinahtan, and anyone else who actively makes contributions, if you'd like editing powers, just shoot me a message with your email.
Alternatively, if the Doc is too difficult to read, I'll also be keeping an up-to-date copy here on Tappedout. Link
The Tappedout list seems to be glitched though. It defaults to regular catagories, rather than the Tier lists. To get it to list by Tier, go to the 'ordering' dropdown and scroll down to 'Custom Catagories' at the bottom.
1 year ago
Here are the best commanders for each tribe for each color combination where possible (apologize in advance for repeating earlier comments, I just want to be thorough):
- : Atogatog
- : Stangg
- Any combination of colors: Reaper King