|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Blessed vs Cursed (DDQ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Zombie
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Abattoir Ghoul this turn dies, you gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Abattoir Ghoul Discussion
7 months ago
This being said, I like options such as Death Baron, Lord of the Undead, Undead Warchief, etc. I will probably swap out Abattoir Ghoul for Death Baron, Liliana's Reaver for Undead Warchief, and Ammit Eternal for Lord of the Undead, that way anything I play will boost everything else up.
I'm also considering options like Attrition, Endless Ranks of the Dead, and Call to the Grave, for more board presence and control. Considering that I want all these +1/+1 zombies, maybe it would be good if I had more options to get a lot of 2/2 black zombies onto the battlefield. Shepherd of Rot could also be used late game, because by that time I'll have a few +1/+1 zombies out there so he can't be instantly lightning bolted.
I also don't have much use for Stromgald Crusader, (I don't need flying, my way of getting around enemy creatures is menace / fear) but I approved it because I like the way it looks. I'm simple like that.
11 months ago
Phyrexian Delver, Graveborn Muse, Corpse Augur, Corpse Connoisseur, Fleshbag Marauder, Victimize and Obelisk of Urd are all budget friendly and solid improvements over Necromaster Dragon, Walking Corpse, Abattoir Ghoul, Desiccated Naga, Thraben Foulbloods and Tattered Mummy.
Planar Bridge and Chalice of Life Flip, while great cards in general, seem out of place here. I imagine both cards will do close to nothing a lot of the time, so they should probably go.
1 year ago
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I actually cut Zombie Infestation, Black Oak of Odunos, Crow of Dark Tidings, Servant of Tymaret, Walking Corpse, Abattoir Ghoul, Shambling Ghoul, Diregraf Ghoul, Doom Blade, Voracious Null, and Demon's Horn for a few things (I'm actually about to edit the deck with the additions, if you wanna look back. :) )
I've played it a bit and I've found that it's only problem is that it's slow, and can't deal with flying very well.
1 year ago
I love me some good ol' zombie tribal! Deck looks like a lot of fun! I run a similar style deck with Gisa and Geralf at the helm. I'm not sure what your budget is but I do have a few suggestions (budget-pending):
I would consider adding in the following zombies:
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Zombie Master + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth = unblockable zombies!
Shepherd of Rot
Balthor the Defiled
Vengeful Dead (really hurts if you go infinte sac with Gravecrawler)
I feel these zombies can help replace some of the weaker members of your horde like the following:
Along similar lines, I see that you have some reanimation spells in your deck however, if your budget allows, I would make the upgrade to some of the following:
Best of luck!
1 year ago
So Here's a few suggestions for you, though the numbers probably won't add up:
What you should take out
Cruel Revival is a very costly kill spell, even if it does return zombies, there are other means of killing creatures and getting more zombies. Drop 2.
Reap the Seagraf Not the best since it's 3 mana for one zombie, and 5 for one more. I'd drop them all.
- Zombie Infestation is just kinda bad. Your draw power is not strong enough to use this too often. Drop them all.
- Undead Alchemist is a weird one. It lets you gain more and more zombies, however, once it's out, you shift gears from damage to mill. If it works for you, it works, but if you really need to drop something, it's this.
- Abattoir Ghoul hits on turn 5, meaning it's likely that another deck will have a way to handle it by then, be it a kill spell or strong blocker. I'd drop them both.
What you should add:
- Call to the Grave is, in my opinion, better than Cruel Revival because it kills an enemy creature every turn, and, unless you become board wiped, it will stay on the battlefield forever. Add 2
- Cemetery Reaper is a little costlier, but is almost a straight upgrade to Reap the Seagraf because it also counts towards the number of zombies that you have.
- Cemetery Recruitment gives you draw power and return power for two mana, or Ghoulcaller's Chant returns two zombies. Add 4 in any combination.
- Drunau Corpse Trawler will give you a blue creature to work with, and can boost your other zombies. Add 2.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead is an AMAZING card. Add 2 more.
- Havengul Runebinder Although not a zombie, this guy seriously boosts what you have, at the cost of returning zombies. Add whatever you feel is appropriate
- Lich Lord of Unx is another pricy card, but it can be a win-condition for you if you play your cards right. If you can, add 4.
- Shamble Back gives you some life and a zombie. pretty nice. Add two or so.
- Grixis Grimblade is a turn 2 zombie that uses blue. You may not get much benefit from its ability, but early game is really important.
- Headless Skaab removes a creature from your graveyard, but it's a very strong blue zombie, which is good for color balance.
So that's all I got. Remember though, that this is your deck, so any and all changes are totally up to you. I have some other advice for general magic, seeing as you're a new player.
- You want as many cards of yours to work with each other as possible, especially in a zombie deck
- When thinking about what cards you have in your deck, think about the mana cost of the card and its abilities. For example, would you rather bring out another creature, draw some cards, or use an artifact's ability.
- Think about your "God Hand." If you could rig your deck to have the perfect hand and perfect order of cards drawn, how strong would you be? If you would be tough to beat, great! If not, find the flaws and fix them.
1 year ago
so while the minimum is 60, and while there is no maximum deck size (aside from shuffling limitations) its heavily suggested that you run a 60 card deck for consistency/land reasons (running a 67 card deck, with only 20 lands is a recipe for disaster, because of your curve you want to be at 23-24 lands for a 60 card deck)
what does Singing Bell Strike do for the deck that a removal spell like Go for the Throat/Grasp of Darkness/Soul Manipulation/Remove Soul cant? also as far as blue containment, Containment Membrane/Mirror Mockery may be worth taking a look at.
Geralf's Messenger is a solid add, for insane devotion and while it does come into play tapped, its etb makes it worth it. and Undead Alchemist is a fun sideboard option to make zombies and have an alternate wincon.
1 year ago
I like the idea of zombies in Modern! However, the format is just too fast for the cards you have listed here that are 5+ mana. I'd cut the 3 Army of the Damned (that's a great EDH card!), Behold the Beyond, the Dark Petition, the 2 From Under the Floorboards and the Noosegraf Mob to go up to the full 4 copies of some of the better zombies in your list. 4 Gravecrawlers is almost a must, and getting the 4th Relentless Dead and Cryptbreaker would be great! If possible, I'd also swap out the Abattoir Ghoul for another 3 mana lord of your choice (I'm partial to Death Baron myself, but any of them would be great), and fill out the remaining empty spots with either more creatures or removal spells (Go for the Throat, Dismember, Victim of Night <- flavor win!). I think that you'll find that slimming down the deck will improve its consistency, and adding more creatures instead of the large spells give you a better agro deck.
1 year ago
I've always wanted to make some simple 40-card beginner decks to teach people how to play, and with the combination of me moving to a new school district and my girlfriend saying she is willing to learn, I have finally built them. I would like your opinions on them, and if they seem easy enough for a newer player to understand. (As a note, I tried to include a wide cast of keywords to emphasize the diversity of the game.)
Each deck has 17 lands and one rare, which the deck is themed around
Harness the Storm Burn/Aggro Show
1x Hotheaded Giant
1x Terra Ravager
1x Goblin Freerunner
1x Cinder Pyromancer
2x Fiery Impulse
2x Boulder Salvo
2x Magma Spray
1x Lightning Strike
1x Searing Blood
3x Dragon Fodder
3x Krenko's Command
2x Act of Treason
Pretty simple burn/aggro designed to encourage combo plays with Harness the Storm
Unbreathing Horde-Zombies Show
1x Abattoir Ghoul
1x Minotaur Abomination
1x Fleshbag Marauder
1x Walking Corpse
1x Undead Minotaur
1x Wandering Tombshell
1x Twisted Abomination
1x Infectious Horror
1x Dross Prowler
1x Forlorn Pseudamma
2x Black Cat
2x Wight of Precinct Six
1x Night's Whisper
1x Read the Bones
1x Altar's Reap
1x Doom Blade
1x Grasp of Darkness
1x Hissing Miasma
1x Crown of Suspicion
1x Clutch of Undeath
Simple Zombie aggro designed to teach players about spot removal, pain for gain, and the fact that its ok to for your creatures to die
Hero of Leina Tower-Pump and Smash Show
1x Centaur Battlemaster
2x Setessan Oathsworn
1x Pheres-Band Tromper
1x Thundering Tanadon
1x Vulpine Goliath
1x Elvish Visionary
1x Elvish Mystic
1x Ainok Guide
2x Unnatural Predation
2x Ranger's Guile
2x Titanic Growth
1x Giant Growth
1x Aspect of Hydra
1x Feed the Clan
1x Monstrous Growth
1x Rabid Bite
1x Prey Upon
1x Forced Adaptation
Mono-green pump. Encourages players to play offensively and make smart decisions with their mana. My main concern with this deck is the inclusion of Thundering Tanadon. Is phyrexian mana too weird to be in a starter deck?
Captain of the Watch-Soldiers Show
2x Veteran Armorsmith
2x Veteran Swordsmith
1x Kor Skyfisher
1x Topan Freeblade
1x Kor Scythemaster
1x Kinsbaile Skirmisher
1x Consul's Lieutenant
1x Loxodon Partisan
1x God-Favored General
1x Nav Squad Commandos
1x Repel the Darkness
2x Raise the Alarm
1x Sanctified Charge
1x Ajani's Presence
1x Valorous Stance
1x Brave the Sands
Mono-white soldier tribal. Encourages players to know how to utilize synergy between a creature type, and handle multiple situations by using a multitude of answers.
Chief Engineer-Artifacts Show
1x Etherium Sculptor
2x Aeronaut Tinkerer
1x Anvilwrought Raptor
1x Mirror Golem
1x Bronze Sable
1x Runed Servitor
2x Gold-Forged Sentinel
1x Whirler Rogue
1x Yotian Soldier
1x Opaline Unicorn
1x Aether Spellbomb
1x Staff of the Mind Magus
1x Thought Prison
1x Artificer's Epiphany
Encourages players to learn artifact synergy, combo plays, and elements of control.